King Street Courts (Supreme Court of NSW), Sydney

This highly significant courts complex is being progressively upgraded to meet contemporary judicial servicing and access requirements.

Phase 1 included conservation and upgrading of Court 5 and associated rooms for disabled access and state-of-the-art technology. Phase 2 included conservation and upgrading of Court 2 and associated rooms, structural rectification of the upper floor of the 1820s wing, archaeological excavation of the floor cavity, and consolidation of ceilings. Phase 3 established an Interpretative Centre. Public use as a museum for legal studies, and as a venue for special events and activities associated with the law and legal profession, will offer access to many different public groups.

Conservation and upgrading of Court 3 and associated rooms, a new corrective services wing, associates pavilion, and Sheriff’s office were completed in 2003.In February 2007, Court 1 re-opened as the Bails Court for the NSW Supreme Court. In April 2008, the former Probate area was converted to offices for the legal profession. In 2011, the chambers of the St James Road wing were conserved and upgraded and in 2012, the first floor rooms of the 1827 wing re-opened as mediation rooms for the Supreme Court of NSW.